The Faculty Committee on Equity and Inclusion identifies, and shares with the Senate, effective approaches to cultivating a culture of equity, inclusivity, and respect that enhance the success of all faculty within a pluralistic context. It will alert the Senate to issues on campus that require attention, and will make recommendations for how the Senate can be helpful in addressing these issues, in collaboration with the Provost’s office and the Provost’s Diversity Committee. This committee will work with the Senate Executive Board to plan and implement two mini-retreats a year (one in the fall and one in the spring) that aim to enhance campus climate at USC. Topics might include how to better recruit, retain, and support a diverse faculty; how to achieve more gender equity in STEM fields; or how to help faculty to have difficult dialogues about culture in the classroom.
Specific Charge for 2021-2022 Academic Year
- This year’s committee will examine faculty service and leadership in relation to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- One area of study is how DEI-centered service and leadership is valued, recognized, and/or rewarded within each school. For example, to what extent is DEI-centered service explicitly required or incentivized in merit review or promotion.
- An additional area of study concerns the extent to which faculty from groups underrepresented in academia [are able to] participate in service and leadership apart from/in addition to DEI-centered endeavors. The committee will research best practices in the literature and at peer institutions for supporting faculty from underrepresented groups to move into leadership positions.
Meetings: Contact committee chair for the date/locations of the committee meetings.
Rob Parke (Co-Chair) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Naomi Warren (Co-Chair) – email@example.com
- Ben Carrington (EB liaison), firstname.lastname@example.org, Annenberg
- Helen Choi, email@example.com, Viterbi
- Chanita Hughes Halbert, firstname.lastname@example.org, Keck
- Steve Hydon, email@example.com, Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work
- Saori Katada, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dornsife
- Rob Parke (Co-Chair), email@example.com, Viterbi School
- Stephanie Payne, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dornsife
- Artineh Samkian, email@example.com, Rossier School
- Paul Seidler, firstname.lastname@example.org, Pharmacy
- Alberto Vallejo, email@example.com, Keck
- Naomi Warren (Co-Chair), firstname.lastname@example.org, Marshall
Spring 2019 Campus Climate Presentation and Lunch
- Embracing Inclusion in Faculty Hiring and Retention – March 25 2019 Slides
- Event Summary and Reading List
- Zoom Video
Photos by Artineh Samkian
- Faculty Committee on Equity and Inclusion – 2021-22 – Annual Report
- Climate Committee – 2020-2021 – Annual Report
- Climate Committee 2019-2020 Annual Report
- Climate Committee 2018-2019 Annual Report
- Climate Committee – 2016-2017 – Annual Report
- Preliminary Report to the Academic Senate Executive Board
- Climate Committee – Faculty Diversity Best Practices (11-10-16)
- Climate Gathering Notes (05-01-17 public)