The Committee on Faculty Environment and Employment monitors the environment in which faculty of the University carry out their responsibilities. The committee may recommend to the Academic Senate steps for improving the faculty environment in areas such as: the basic terms of faculty employment, faculty compensation, fringe benefits, retention, faculty contracts, office and laboratory space, parking, and other facilities on which faculty rely.
Meetings: Contact committee chair for the date/locations of the committee meetings.
Specific Charge for 2023-2024 Academic Year
As part of its Excellence in Teaching Initiative, USC has sought to move to a more robust approach to teaching evaluation that includes peer review. Implementation of this model at USC schools over the past years has been uneven for a variety of reasons. The committee will reach out to the school Deans and Faculty Councils to determine what each school is currently doing to evaluate teaching. Key questions the committee will consider are:
- Has the school made the shift, in practice, to peer review as the primary measure of teaching effectiveness? Why or why not?
- What is the process used at the school for the formative and summative evaluation of teaching? What are the review criteria used? What evaluation tools (e.g. classroom observation checklists) are employed?
- What is the process used to evaluate interdisciplinary teaching at the school?
- For schools that have fully implemented the peer review model, is the process practical? Do faculty find the process valuable in improving their teaching?
The committee will also highlight the exemplary models at the schools and provide university and school-level recommendations for enhancing the evaluation of teaching at USC.
James Condon, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dornsife College
Marion Philadelphia, email@example.com, Marshall School of Business
- Kristian Carlson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Keck School of Medicine
- Daryl Davies, email@example.com, Alfred E. Mann School of Pharmacy
- Amber Foster, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dornsife College
- Greg Kling, email@example.com, Leventhal School of Accounting
- Craig Marek, firstname.lastname@example.org, Bovard College
- Lee Olvera, email@example.com, School of Architecture
- Tyan Parker Dominguez, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dworak-Peck School of Social Work
- Artineh Samkian, email@example.com, Rossier School of Education
- Sheila Sofian, firstname.lastname@example.org, Cinematic Arts
- Kendra Walther, email@example.com, Viterbi School of Engineering
- Stefan Zweig, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ostrow School of Dentistry
- Sofia Gruskin (Executive Board Liaison), email@example.com, Keck School of Medicine and Gould School of Law
Ex Officio Member
Ginger Clark (Associate Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs; Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching), firstname.lastname@example.org, Rossier School of Education
- FEEC Annual Report – 2023-2023: Remote Faculty
- FEEC Annual Report – 2021-2022: Junior Faculty
- FEEC Survey Report – February 2021
- FEEC Annual Report – 2019-2020: Eldercare, family leave, and support during COVID-19 crisis
- FEEC Annual Report – 2017-2018: Geographically Dispersed Faculty Recommendations
- FEEC Annual Report – 2016-2017 – Campus Safety Report
- FEEC Childcare Governance Recommendations 2017 March
2015 – 2016 FEEC Recommendations