The Committee on Part-Time Faculty Affairs monitors and evaluates the working environment, terms and conditions of employment, job security, compensation, benefits eligibility, opportunities for participation in governance, opportunities for professional advancement, and participation in the academic life of the university provided for part-time faculty. It monitors compliance with the Faculty Handbook and with stated school policies of the schools or units as they relate to part-time faculty. It makes recommendations to relevant Senate and University committees, and to the Academic Senate, concerning any policy issues that have an impact on Part-Time faculty.
Membership will include primarily part-time faculty, as well as one member from each of the following committees: Research, Teaching, Practitioner, & Clinical Faculty Affairs; and Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty Affairs.
Meetings: Contact committee chair for the date/locations of the committee meetings.
Specific Charge for 2021 – 2022 Academic Year
- Monitoring the extent to which schools are complying with the wage and hour guidelines articulated by Human Resources last year.
- Monitoring the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on part-time faculty working conditions.
This year’s Faculty Affairs Committees (FAC’s) will work in tandem to assess the current labor being done on each track at USC and how trends in higher education might affect this work in the coming years. Therefore, the RTPC, Tenure/Tenure Track and Part-time Faculty Affairs Committees will work on a shared charge from January through December 2022.
In exploring the Future of Faculty Work, the Faculty Affairs Committees will examine work profiles, primary activities, and the relevance of “tracks” in context of a changing higher education eco-system. The changes in the academic environment include pressures that colleges and universities are facing in funding, rising costs and tuition affordability, a decline in public support for postsecondary education, changes in academic publishing, volatility in the availability of grant funding, changes in the healthcare and clinical environment, the emergence of innovations and technology that has enhanced or improved clinical, teaching or research capabilities, and a decline in traditional-aged college students (both domestically and internationally).
Each FAC committee chair will guide their team’s research toward a combined report making recommendations about how USC might better support faculty on each track and/or how our tracks could or should be reimagined to ensure that our faculty is best positioned to help USC continue to improve its research, teaching, and clinical mission.
The context for the future of faculty work is USC, and how faculty work might change, adapt or transform in the next decade. However, the university is subject to some of the same pressures and challenges as other research universities, so the committees are encouraged to look both within and outside of the university in responding to the exploratory questions guiding this charge.
Some background materials will be provided to the committees for reference, but each is encouraged to seek out studies and trend data relevant to various tracks and disciplines.
Linda Hoffman (Co-Chair) – email@example.com
P.T. McNiff (Co-Chair) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Armanini, email@example.com, Iovine & Young
- Melanie Calvert, firstname.lastname@example.org, Rossier
- Jill Davis, email@example.com, Social Work
- Linda Hoffman (Co-Chair), firstname.lastname@example.org, Rossier School
- Hicham Jaddoud, email@example.com, Bovard
- Jie Li, firstname.lastname@example.org, Keck School
- P.T. McNiff (Co-Chair), email@example.com, Dornsife
- Geraldine Peters, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dornsife
- Daniela Schmid, email@example.com, Ostrow School
- Mona Shah, firstname.lastname@example.org, Gould
- Ian Spatz, email@example.com, Sol Price School
- TBA (EB Liaison)
- Spring 2022 PTFAC End-of-Year Report and Memo – Future of Faculty Work
- 2020-2021 PTFAC End-of-Year Report
- 2019-2020 PTFAC End-of-Year Report
- White Paper on Part-Time Faculty Exemplary Practices
- 2018-19 PTFAC End-of-Year Report
- 2017-18 PTFA End of Year Report
- 2016-17 PTFA End of Year Report
- 2015-16 PTFA End of Year Report
- 2015-16 PTFA Interim Report (mid year report)
- 15/16 – 04: Change in Part-Time Faculty Policies and Practices