This committee will perform a broad survey of faculty merit/annual review processes at each school to identify both common practices and heterogeneity of the merit processes; catalog effective practices; and make recommendations to improve merit review at USC. The questions guiding the work of this committee include:
- What are the intended purposes of the faculty annual/merit review process?
- Does the process in place at each school meet the intended purpose(s) and goal(s) for the review for each track and rank?
- What is the role of the annual/merit review process in helping faculty in each track and rank identify areas of professional strength and areas for improvement? How are merit/annual review processes aligned with promotion preparation and mentoring?
- What kind of materials are compiled or developed by faculty as part of the annual/merit review for each track and rank? Do materials developed for the review by faculty align with or reflect their effort profiles?
- What is the role, if any, of course learning evaluations and faculty peer teaching evaluations?
- Should annual review be linked to merit pay increases?
- Is the annual review process effective in supporting the continued productivity of more senior faculty?
- Are there any pockets of USC where faculty consider the annual review process to be unusually counter-productive (measuring the wrong things and not measuring things that should matter)?
- How should annual review assess service contributions for each track and rank?
Jessica Cantiello (Co-Chair), email@example.com
Larry Picus (Co-Chair), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Cantiello (Co-Chair), email@example.com, Dornsife/Writing Program
- Larry Picus (Co-Chair), firstname.lastname@example.org, Rossier/Faculty Affairs
- Scott Altman, email@example.com, Gould/Law JD Operations
- Yaniv Bar-Cohen, firstname.lastname@example.org, Keck/CHLA
- Antonio Elefano, email@example.com, Dornsife/Writing Program
- C. Kerry Fields, firstname.lastname@example.org, Marshall School/Finance & Business Economics
- Laura Gale, email@example.com, Dworak-Peck/Virtual Academic Center
- Genevieve Giuliano, firstname.lastname@example.org, Sol Price/Office of Admin & Business Affairs
- Gabe Kahn, email@example.com, Annenberg School/Journalism
- Marissa Marchioni, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ostrow School
- Lynda McGinnis, email@example.com, Keck/OBGYN
- Stephanie Shroyer, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dramatic Arts
- Renee Smith-Maddox, email@example.com, Dworak-Peck/On-campus Program
- Mary Sweeney, firstname.lastname@example.org, Cinematic Arts/Writing for Screen and Television
- Matt Whiting, email@example.com, Viterbi School/Information Technology Program